Successful Staff Photographs – “14 Do’s and Don’ts!
- Do plan ahead, make sure no one is going on holiday!
- Do make sure that a room is available with a plug socket for the photographer that has a little privacy for the person. No one likes being jeered from their colleagues.
- Do tell the staff. We are all adults and don’t like being kept in the dark. Having a surprise of a photographer turning up is not the best way to engage staff – trust me!
- Do tell them the reasons why their staff shots are required and to dress appropriately. It makes a big difference if they understand that this will be a professional image or lead to additional sales.
- Don’t expect everyone to be as enthusiastic as you. Most people don’t enjoy having their portrait taken.
- Don’t cram it all in before lunchtime – everyone gets into a panic… it’s supposed to be fun and creative!
- Don’t tell the staff a week before, better to be at least 2 weeks in advance to allow for a trip to the hairdressers or barbers – nothing worse than a fresh haircut!
- Do tell them to bring at least 2 changes of clothing / ties / jackets – spots or stripes can really dominate an image and should be avoided.
- Don’t worry about spots and scars or poor teeth on the day. Any photographer worth their salt can fix this in post production.
- Do get a decent night’s sleep and avoid excessive alcohol the day before!
- Don’t expect one image to do all – you need to consider an image for social media platforms like Linked In and another for the company website.
- Do make one person responsible for picking the images or it will take months!
- Do make sure you get a model release form signed by all staff (you can download from the web) to avoid any future problems!
- Do have a look at other staff photographs on the web, maybe your competitors and suggest that style to the photographer if you like them.
To be honest, I could add a lot more, but from experience these are the most common ‘challenges’…
If you would like to discuss professional staff portraits for your organisation. Just drop me a line HERE